Matthew P. Sullivan, MD
Dr. Sullivan specializes in the treatment of traumatic orthopedic injuries. The scope of his practice ranges from the care of patients with simple fractures managed non-operatively, to the multi-injured patient with complex fractures involving joints of the upper and lower extremities as well as the pelvis. He has had extensive training in the treatment of pelvis and acetabular fractures as well as fractures involving the joints of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, ankle, and foot which have gone on to nonunion or malunion.
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Tufts University - Bachelors of Science - 2005
Medical School: Boston University School of Medicine - Medical Degree - 2010
Intern: University of Pennsylvania, Departments of Orthopaedic and General Surgery - 2011
Residencies: University of Pennsylvania, Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery - 2015
Fellowship: Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington - Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery - 2016
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Board Certified
- SUNY Upstate Medical Center
- SUNY Upstate Community Hopsital
- Crouse Hospital
Assistant Clinical Professor
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Dr. Sullivan is particularly interested in the team approach to caring for severely injured trauma patients and understands the life-altering impact that orthopedic trauma has on his patients. In addition to acute orthopedic trauma, his practice includes the treatment of infected fractures and problematic fractures which have gone on to nonunion or malunion.
Meet Dr. Sullivan
- Sullivan MP, et al. Radial neck dilatory remodeling following radial head arthroplasty with an uncemented, press fit, fully chemically etched stem design. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Published ahead of print. April 27, 2017. PMID 28471917
- Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R. Current treatment for talar fractures. Instr Course Lect 2017;66:39–49. PMID 28594487
- Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R: Current treatment for talar fractures. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2016;14(4):2. http://dx.doi.org/10.5435/OKOJ-14-4-2
- Sullivan MP, Scolaro JA, Milby A, Mehta S. Isolated pelvic ring injuries: functional outcomes following percutaneous, posterior fixation. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology. 2015. PMID 25869107.
- Sullivan MP, Schenker ML, Mehta S. Pertrochanteric hip fracture: a “routine” fracture with a potentially devastating vascular complication. Orthopedics. 2015 Jan 1;38(1):e75–9. PMID 25611426
- Sullivan MP, McHale KJ, Parvizi J, Mehta S. Nanotechnology: current concepts in orthopaedic surgery and future directions. The Bone & Joint Journal, May 2014. 96-B(5), 569–573. PMID 24788488
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin KD, Donegan DJ, et al. Geriatric fractures about the hip: divergent patterns in the proximal femur, acetabulum, and pelvis. Orthopedics. 2014 Mar;37(3):151–7. PMID 24762143
- Sullivan MP, Smith HE, Schuster JM, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Spondylopelvic Dissociation. Orthop Clin North Am. 2014 Jan;45(1):65-75. PMID 24267208
- Sullivan MP, McCormick, J. D., & Arlet, V. (2013). Vertebral artery injury and severely displaced odontoid fracture: the case for early reduction. European Spine Journal. 22(10), 2149–53. PMID: 23989680
- Sullivan MP, Torres, S. J., Mehta, S., & Ahn, J. (2013). Heterotopic ossification after central nervous system trauma: A current review. Bone & Joint Research, 2(3), 51–7. PMID 23610702
- Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Mehta S. Acute compartment syndrome: obtaining diagnosis, providing treatment, and minimizing medicolegal risk. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2012 Sep;5(3):206-13. PMID 22644598
- Gray MR, Malmquist JA, Sullivan MP, Blea M, Castellot JJ. CCN5 Expression in mammals. II. Adult rodent tissues. Journal of Cell Communication and Signaling. 2007 Sep; 1(2): 145-158. PMID 18481204
- Blea M, Sullivan MP, Jones J, Oleson L, Gray M, Castellot J. Localization of CCN5 Protein in Adult Murine Tissues. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2005 May; 58(5): 466-478. PMCID: PMC1770648
- Jones J, Blea M, Sullivan MP, Castellot J, Gray M. Temporal and Spatial localization of CCN5 Protein in Murine Embryos. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2005 May; 58(5): 466-478. PMCID: PMC1770648
- Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Donegan DJ, Mehta S, Ahn J. Length, Alignment, and Rotation: Operative Techniques for Intramedullary Nailing of the comminuted, diaphyseal femur fracture. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal, volume 24. P 31-35. June 2014.
- Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Donegan DJ, Ahn J, Mehta S. Strategies and Application of Ankle-Spanning Multiplanar External Fixators. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal, volume 24. P 26-30. June 2014.
- McHale KJ, Sullivan MP, Mehta S. Nanotechnology: Current Concepts in Orthopaedic Surgery. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. Volume 23, 2012.
- Sullivan MP. The Annual John L. Esterhai, Jr Lecture. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. Vol 21, P. 133, May 2010.
- Wishnia S, Sullivan MP, Servais E, Lightner A, Lim R, Prushik S, Stucchi A, Becker J. Outcomes following completion mucosectomy for retained rectal mucosa (RRM) following restorative proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis. Journal of Surgical Research. 2010 February; Volume 158, Issue 2, Page 176.
- Sullivan MP, Ahn J. Demographics and Epidemiology. (2017). Fragility Fractures of the Pelvis, 1st Ed. Rommens PM, Hofmann A (Eds.).
- Githens M, Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R. (2016). Intramedullary Nailing of Tibia Fractures: Techniques. In Let’s Discuss: Common Orthopaedic Emergencies--Surviving the Night. P 143-162. Rosemont, Il. AAOS.
- Sullivan MP, Mehta S. (2017). Tibial Shaft Fractures: Intramedullary Nailing. In Case Competencies in Orthopaedic Surgery. 1st Edition. P 160-171. Philadelphia, PA. Elsevier.
- Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Mehta S. (2016). Orthopaedic Surgery. In The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide, 4th Edition. P 486-498. Philadelphia, PA. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin K, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Geriatric Fractures About the Hip: Divergent Patterns in the Proximal Femur, Acetabulum, and Pelvis. OTA Annual meeting 2013, Phoenix, AZ. Poster Number 23.
- Sullivan MP, Nestorovski D, Horan AM, Donegan DJ, Ahn J, Mehta S. Appropriate Use of the 22-Modifier Does Not Improve Payment in Orthopaedic Trauma & Fracture Care. OTA Annual meeting 2014. Tampa, FL. Poster Number 142.
- Tornetta P, Shahien A, Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R, Lu K, Cannada L, Timmel M, Ali A, Bramlett K, Marcantonio A, Flynn M, Vallier H, Nicolay R, Mullis B, Goodwin A, Miller A, Krause P, Mir H. Combined Orthopaedic and Vascular Injuries: A Multicenter Analysis. Podium Presentation #123. 2016 OTA Annual Meeting, Gaylord Harbor, MD.
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin K, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Geriatric Fractures About the Hip: Divergent Patterns in the Proximal Femur, Pelvis and Acetabulum. 2013 AAOS Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Sullivan MP, Scolaro JA, Mehta A. Functional outcomes of isolated, partially unstable pelvic injuries fixed with percutaneous posterior-only fixation. 2014 AAOS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.