Timothy Damron, MD
Orthopedic Oncology and Joint Reconstructive Surgery
Dr. Damron offers expertise in the following aspects of orthopedic oncology:
- Soft tissue tumors (benign and malignant), including all sarcomas
- Bone tumors (benign and malignant), including all sarcomas
- Metastatic disease of bone and soft tissue
- Proliferative synovial processes (including pigmented villonodular synovitis and synovial chondomatosis, among others)
Education and Training
Undergraduate: BS, Pre-medical, Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana, 1983
Medical School: MD, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 1983-1985; MD, University of Illinois, Peoria, IL, 1985-1988
Residency: University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1988-1993
Fellowship: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1993-1994
American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Upstate University Hospital
- Upstate University Hospital – Community Campus
- Upstate Orthopedics Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Crouse Hospital
- Vice Chairman, David G. Murray Endowed Professor, and Professor, Orthopedic Oncology and Adult Reconstruction, Academic Track, Upstate Medical University
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, State University of New York at Syracuse
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Neuroscience and Physiology, State University of New York at Syracuse
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, 2000-present (President, 2006-2007)
- Orthopaedic Research Society, 2000-present
- American Orthopaedic Association, 2007-present
- Lymphangiomatosis & Gorham's Disease Alliance Scientific and Medical Advisory Council, 2007-present
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 2005-present
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2004-present
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons, 1999-present
-Orthopaedic Surgery Representative, Surgical Forum Committee, 2009-2011
- Fellow of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 1998-present
-Chair, MSK Tumors and Diseases Evaluation Subcommittee, 2008-2011
- International Society of Limb Salvage
- Ivin's Society of Mayo Clinic Trained Orthopedic Oncologists, 1994-present
- Children's Oncology Group
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
Honors and Awards
- Visiting Professorships at Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, Colorado State University, University of Vermont, University of Carolinas, Geisinger Health Systems, University of Florida, Albany Medical University, Kansas State Orthopedic Society, University of Wisconsin, and The Ohio State University
- Best Doctors in America, 2009-2013
- CNY Top Doctors, 2009-2013
- Research Funding from National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders, Orthopaedic Research Foundation, Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Foundation, and Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation
- Carol M. Baldwin Research Fund of Central New York, 2009
- Humanitarian Award Regional Top Doctor (Consumer Research Council of America, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd.), 2009
- Strathmore Who's Who, 2007
- Biltmore Who's Who among Executives and Professionals, 2007
- Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals in Healthcare, 2007/2008, 2008/2009
- Who's Who in America (Marquis Who's Who), 2007, 2008, 2009
- America's Top Surgeons (Consumer Research Council of America, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd.), 2006, 2008, 2009
- First David G. Murray Endowed Professorship in Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University, November 2003
- SUNY Upstate Medical University President's Award for Outstanding Clinical Research by a Young Investigator, 2003
- Pediatric and adult bone and soft-tissue tumors, synovial proliferation disorders (PVNs, synovial chondromatosis), metastatic disease to bone, joint reconstructive surgery.
Meet Dr. Damron
In Good Health June 2018 Publication Features Timothy Damron, MD. Click here to learn more about Same Day Total Knee Replacement Surgery.
- Damron, T.A., “Insights(®): Do long term survivors of Ewing family of tumors experience low bone mineral density and increased fracture risk?” Clin Orthop Relat Res., Nov 2014; 472 (11):3480-2.
- Oest, M.E., Damron, T.A., “Focal therapeutic irradiation induces an early transient increase in bone glycation,” Radiat Res., Apr 2014; 181(4):439-43.
- Kistler, B.J., Damron, T.A., “Latest developments in surgical and minimally invasive treatment of metastatic bone disease,” Current Surgery Reports., Mar 2014; 2:49.
- Gong, B., Oest, M.E., Mann, K.A., Damron, T.A., Morris, M.D., “Raman spectroscopy demonstrates prolonged alteration of bone chemical composition following extremity localized irradiation.,” Bone, Aug 23 2013; 57(1):252-258. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2013.08.014.
- Keenawinna, L., Oest, M.E., Mann, K.A., Spadaro, J., Damron, T.A., “Zoledronic Acid prevents loss of trabecular bone after focal irradiation in mice,” Radiat Res., Jul 2013; 180(1):89-99. doi: 10.1667/RR3200.1. Epub Jun 17 2013.
- Ghert, M., Deheshi, B., Holt, G., Randall, R.L., Ferguson, P., Wunder, J., Turcotte, R., Werier, J., Clarkson, P., Damron, T., Benevenia, J., Anderson, M., Gebhardt, M., Isler, M., Mottard, S., Healey, J., Evaniew, N., Racano, A., Sprague, S., Swinton, M., Bryant, D., Thabane, L., Guyatt, G., Bhandari, M., “The PARITY Investigators. Prophylactic antibiotic regimens in tumour surgery (PARITY): Protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled study,” BMJ Open, 2012; 2:e002197 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-002197.
- Alvi, H.M., Damron, T.A. “Prophylactic stabilization for bone metastases, myeloma, or lymphoma: Do we need to protect the entire bone?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Mar; 471(3):706-14. (Lead article of March 2013 issue of CORR)
- Damron, T.A., Wade, M., Lisle, J., Cohen, H., ”Prospective randomized clinical trial comparing ultraporous b-tricalcium phosphate alone or combined with bone marrow aspirate in benign cavitary lesions,” J Bone Joint Surg Am., Jan 2013; 95(2):158-66.
- ACE Report: “Addition of bone marrow aspirate to TCP shows no benefit in radiographic outcomes,” OrthoEvidence: Evidence that Matters. http://myorthoevidence.com/2012/?section=15&id=4499
- Damron, T.A. (Ed.), Oncology and Basic Science: Orthopaedic Surgery Essentials Series, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, May 2007.
- Damron, T.A., Nazarian, A., Entezari, V., Brown, C., Grant, W., Hipp, J.A., Calderon, N., Zurakowski, D., Terek, R.M., Anderson, M.E., Cheng, E.Y., Cheung, F., Aboulafia, A.J., Turcotte, R., Lin, P.P., Gebhardt, M.C., Snyder, B.D., “CT-based structural rigidity analysis is more accurate than Mirels scoring system for fracture prediction in metastatic femoral lesions,” Abstract program at the Annual Meeting of Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Houston, Oct 2014.
- Oest, M.E., Mann, K.A., Zimmerman, N., Allen, N., Damron, T.A., “Parathyroid hormone transiently protects bone from radiotherapy induced damage,” Abstract program at the Annual Meeting of Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Houston, Oct 2014.
- Behrouzi, S., Entezari, V., Zurakowski, D., Damron, T.A., Yaszemski, M., Nazarian, A., Snyder, B., “Fracture prediction and treatment planning in patients with skeletal metastasis: A multicenter survey study to evaluate consensus among physicians,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Margulies, B.S., Deboyace, S.D., Parsons, A.M., Policastro, C.G., Ee, J., Damron, T.A. ,“Mechanical disruption of the MSc niche during total joint surgery leads to diminished osteogenesis,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Oest, M.E., Kuchera, T., Damron, T.A., “Focal bone irradiation induces transient increases in mineral apposition rate,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Damron, T.A., Syed, A., “Does prophylactic stabilization in the setting of irradiated soft tissue tumors prevent fracture?” Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Oct 2013.
- Auston, D., Damron, T.A., “Radiographic failure of a calcium sulfate/calcium phosphate bone filler,” Proceedings of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Oct 2013.