Emil Azer, MD
Dr. Emil Azer specializes in orthopedic trauma and joint replacement surgery. His clinical interests include orthopedic trauma, pelvic and acetabular fractures, complex peri-articular fractures, adult reconstruction, hip and knee arthroplasty, revision surgery, and post-traumatic reconstruction.
Dr. Azer is proficient in German and has a strong interest in general health and fitness. He is an avid cyclist, enjoys long distance running, and enjoys auto restoration, playing the violin, violin making, and classical music.
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Pre-Medical, New York University, 1996-2000
Medical School: MD, New York Medical College, 2000-2004
Residency: Orthopedic Surgery at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 2004-2009
Fellowship: Orthopedic Trauma at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2009-2010
American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Upstate University Hospital
- Upstate University Hospital – Community Campus
- Crouse Hospital
- St. Joseph's Hospital
- Upstate Orthopedics Ambulatory Surgery Center
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Honors and Awards
The Brooklyn Orthopaedic Surgery Society Resident Research Award, 2007
- Orthopedic trauma; pelvic and acetabular fractures as well as complex peri-articular fractures; adult reconstruction; hip and knee arthroplasty; revision surgery and post-traumatic reconstruction.
Meet Dr. Azer
Mathur, S., Perri, B., Dissique, K., Shanti, N., Azer, E., “Acute Odontoid Fractures,” Cervical Spine Surgery Challenges: Diagnosis and Management, 2008.
- Barrick, B., Auston, D., Azer, E., Simpson, R.B., “Preliminary Results of a Modified AO/OTA 41 Type C to B Protocol for Management of Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures,” Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 2015.
- Barrick, B., Auston, D., Azer, E., Simpson, R.B., “Radiographic Factors Distinguishing Moore Type Knee Fracture Dislocations from Schatzker 4 Plateau Fractures,” Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 2015.
- Azer, E., Sands, S., Siska, P.A., Gruen, G.S., Pape, H.C., Tarkin, I.S., “The ‘Wedge Effect’ after Intramedullary Hip Screw (IMHS) Fixation for Osteoporotic Intertrochanteric (IT) Fractures,” Poster Presentation, Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, Baltimore, October 2010
- Shanti, N., Azer, E., Carrer, A., Gerling, M., “Cervical Disk Herniation: The Quality of Information on the Internet,” Manuscript submitted to Spine, 2007; Poster Presentation, Cervical Spine Research Society Annual Meeting-European Section, Uppsala, Sweden, 10-13 June, 2009.
- Shanti, N., Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., Azer, E., Merola, A., “The Osteogenic Potential of a Collagen Hydroxyapatite Matrix Combine with rhBMP-2 in a Rat Spinal Fusion Model,” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007, and North American Spine Society 22nd Annual Meeting, 2007.
- “Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., Shanti, N., Azer, E., Merola, A., The Relationship of Convex Thoracic Pedicle Screw Construct Type with Respect to Preoperative Scoliometer Readings: How Many Screws are Enough?” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007.
- Shanti, N., Burgoes, F.J., Hevia, E., Azer, E., Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., “The Use of Bilateral TLIFs with Various Size Cages for the Correctional of Sagittal Imbalance Syndrome,” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007, and North American Spine Society 22nd Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Russinoff, S., Azer, E., Zelicof, S.B., “A New Reference Point for the Tibial Bone Cut in Total Knee Arthroplasty: Tibial Sulcus,” Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty; Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, 2005.