Dr. Zachary Vredenburgh
Areas of Expertise
Sports Medicine – Shoulder, Knee, Hip Surgery
MEET DR. VREDENBURGH
Dr. Vredenburgh grew up highly involved in athletics, winning a gold medal in basketball at the Empire State Games and winning 2 New York State championships in football while at Chenango Forks High School. He played four years of Varsity football at Cornell University and also earned recognition in the National Football Foundation Hampshire Society while in college. He was a recipient of the David G. Murray, MD Award for Excellence in Orthopedics at SUNY Upstate and also received the Orthopedic Resident of the Year award at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson.
Dr. Vredenburgh has treated athletes from Syracuse University, Cornell, Lemoyne, SUNY Cortland, and many high schools since returning to the area. He is also the Orthopedic Surgeon for the Syracuse Mets. His particular surgical interests include open and minimally invasive arthroscopic knee and shoulder surgery, as well as arthroscopic hip surgery and he treats patients of all ages.
Some of the more common procedures that Dr. Vredenburgh performs include:
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Shoulder labral repairs
- Shoulder instability surgery
- Hip arthroscopy (impingement, labral tears, snapping hip)
- Knee ligamentous surgery (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL reconstructions)
- Patellar dislocation surgery (MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy)
- Meniscus repairs
- Knee cartilage surgery (Osteochondral Allograft (OCA), MACI)
- Tendon repairs (biceps, triceps, hamstring, quadriceps, patella, achilles)
- Fracture surgery for broken bones (shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, ankle).
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: Cornell University, B.S., 2009
- Medical School: Upstate Medical University, M.D., 2013
- Residency: Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson, Orthopedic Surgery Residency, 2018
- Fellowship: University of Southern California, Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship, 2019
- Fellowship: Inselspital Bern, Switzerland, Hip Preservation and Complex Hip Surgery, 2019
CERTIFICATIONS, APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Dr. Vredenburgh is board-certified with the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2012
- Dr. David G. Murray Orthopedic Surgery Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 2013
- C. McCollister Evarts Resident Leadership Forum, American Orthopedic Association, 2017
- Resident of the Year, Rutgers – Robert Wood Johnson Orthopedic Surgery, 2018
- Member of Varsity Football Team, Cornell University 2005-2008
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Monica J, Vredenburgh Z, Korsh J, Gatt C. “Acute Shoulder Injuries in Adults.” Am Fam Physician. 2016 Jul 15;94(2):119-127.
- Jalali O, Vredenburgh Z, Prodromo J, Benvegnu N, Hatch G. "Bipolar Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation and Joint Reconstruction for Patellar and Trochlear Cartilage Defects." Arthroscopy Techniques. 2019 Nov 20;8(12):e1533-e1541. doi: 10.1016/j.eats.2019.08.003. PMID: 31890534; PMCID: PMC6928370.
- Vredenburgh ZD, Prodromo JP, Tibone JE, Dunphy TR, Weber J, McGarry MH, Chae S, Adamson GJ, Lee TQ. “Biomechanics of tensor fascia lata allograft for superior capsular reconstruction.” J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2021 Jan;30(1): 178-187. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2020.04.025. PMID: 32778385.
- Smith A, Ayoub M, Vredenburgh Z, Kiss G, Sagebien C. The Effects of a Dedicated Orthopaedic Trauma Room on Operating Room Turn Around Time and Operating Room Case Time. Eastern Orthopaedic Association Meeting, October 2016.
- Preston J, Caccavale D, Smith A, Stull L, Vredenburgh Z, Harwood D, Kayiaros S. Bundled Payments for Care Improvement in the Private Sector. New Jersey Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, April 2018.
- Vredenburgh Z, Rhee K, Korsh J, Chiarappa F, Monica J. Utility of Axillary View in Proximal Humerus Fractures. Rutgers – Robert Wood Johnson Orthopedic Research Day, May 2018.