Dr. William Lavelle
Areas of Expertise
Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery
MEET DR. LAVELLE
Dr. William Lavelle is an avid researcher in adult and pediatric spine surgery, including growing spine techniques such as the VEPTR (titanium rib) for early onset scoliosis. His interests also include adult and pediatric spinal cord injury, cervical kyphosis, adult and pediatric scoliosis, spinal osteotomy, and spinal outcomes research.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: Pre-Medical, Wilkes University, 1998
- Medical School: MD, MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine, 2002
- Residency: Albany Medical Center, 2002-2007
- Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic, 2007-2008
- Dr. Lavelle is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Carl, A., Sharan, A.D., Lavelle, W., “Trends in spine surgery-the perfect storm,” European Musculoskeletal Review, 2012; 7(2): 91-3.
- Metkar, U., Wardak, Z., Katz, D., Lavelle,W.F., “Giant cell tumor of a lumbar vertebra in a 7 year old child: A case report,” J Pediatr Orthop., 2012 Dec; 32(8): e76-80.
- Lavelle, W., Lavelle, E.D., Lavelle, L., “Intra-articular injections,” Med Clin North Am., 2007 Mar; 91 (2): 241-50. (Invited Reprint in Anesthesiol Clin. Dec; 25 (4): 853-862.)
- Lavelle, W., Carl, A., Lavelle, E.D., “Invasive and minimally invasive surgical techniques for back pain conditions,” Med Clin North Am., 2007 Mar; 91 (2): 287-298. (Invited Reprint in Anesthesiol Clin. 2007 Dec; 25 (4): 899-911.)
- Karam, M., Lavelle, W.F., Cheney, R., “The role of bone scintigraphy in treatment planning, and predicting pain relief after kyphoplasty,” Nucl Med Commun., 2008 Mar; 29 (3): 247-253.
- Kitab, S.A., Miele, V.J., Lavelle, W.F., “Benzel EC. Pathoanatomic basis for stretch-induced lumbar nerve root injury with a review of the literature,” Neurosurgery, 2009 Jul; 65 (1): 161-8.
- Betz, R.R., Lavelle, W.F., Samdani, A.F., “Bone grafting options in children,” Spine, 2010 Aug 1; 35 (17): 1648-1654.
- Riesenburger, R.I., Potluri, T., Kulkarni, N., Lavelle, W.F., Roguski, M., Goel, V.K., Benzel, E.C., “Unilateral cervical facet dislocation: A biomechanical study of several constructs including unilateral lateral mas fixation supplemented by an interspinous cable,” J Neurosurg Spine, 2012 Mar; 16(3): 251-256.
- Ordway, N.R., Lavelle, W.F., Brown, T., “Bao Q-B. Biomechanical assessment and fatigue characteristics of an articulating nucleus implant,” International J Spine Surgery, 2013 Dec; (7) e109-e117.
- Lavelle, W., Lieberman, I., Mroz, T., “Discetomy after selective nerve root blocks for patients with a lumbar disc herniation,” Presentation, North American Spine Society 23rd Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Oct 14-18, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., Karam, M., Cheney, R., Uhl, R., “Importance of skeletal scintigraphy in preoperative patient evaluation for kyphoplasty,” Podium Presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in San Francisco, CA, Mar 7, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., “Short segment fusion for degenerative,” Young spine surgeons forum- North American Spine Society 23rd Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Oct 13, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., Evanchick, K., Orr, R.D., “The effect of smoking on the improvement in pain scores for patients undergoing limited transforaminal lumbar fusion,” Paper, Lumbar Spine Research Society Chicago, Apr 2-3, 2009.
- Demers, E., Lavelle, W., Youssef, G., Monir-Soliman, L., Goodwin, R., “The side effects and safety of epidural analgesia following pediatric scoliosis surgery,” Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, Jacksonville, FL, Mar 19-22, 2009.
- Lavelle W., Mroz, T., Steinmetz, M.D., “Lumbar discectomy after epidural injection or selective nerve root blocks,” Presentation, North American Spine Society Spine Across The Seas Meeting in Hawaii, Jul 26-30, 2009.