Dr. Timothy Damron
Areas of Expertise
Orthopedic Oncology and Joint Reconstruction
MEET DR. DAMRON
Dr. Damron is a Mayo Clinic fellowship-trained orthopedic oncology and joint reconstructive surgeon. He offers expertise in all aspects of orthopedic oncology including pediatric and adult benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors, bone and soft tissue sarcomas, metastatic disease of bone and soft tissue, bone involvement by myeloma and lymphoma, bone biopsies, soft tissue biopsies, complex reconstructive surgery of all anatomic sites of the upper and lower extremities, and proliferative synovial processes including pigmented villonodular synovitis and synovial chondomatosis. In addition, he performs complex and routine primary and revision total joint surgery of the hip and knee, utilizes Makoplasty robotic assisted surgery, and offers the direct anterior approach for total hips.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: BS, pre-medical, University of Illinois at Urbana, 1983
- Medical School: MD, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 1983-1985; MD, University of Illinois, Peoria, IL, 1985-1988
- Residency: University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1988-1993
- Fellowship: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1993-1994
CERTIFICATIONS, APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Dr. Damron is board-certified from the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Vice Chairman, David G. Murray Endowed Professor, and Professor, Orthopedic Oncology and Adult Reconstruction, Academic Track, Upstate Medical University
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, State University of New York at Syracuse
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Neuroscience and Physiology, State University of New York at Syracuse
- Visiting Professorships at Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, Colorado State University, University of Vermont, University of Carolinas, Geisinger Health Systems, University of Florida, Albany Medical University, Kansas State Orthopedic Society, University of Wisconsin, and The Ohio State University
- Best Doctors in America, 2009-2013
- CNY Top Doctors, 2009-2013
- Research Funding from National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders, Orthopaedic Research Foundation, Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Foundation, and Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation
- Carol M. Baldwin Research Fund of Central New York, 2009
- Humanitarian Award Regional Top Doctor (Consumer Research Council of America, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd.), 2009
- Strathmore Who's Who, 2007
- Biltmore Who's Who among Executives and Professionals, 2007
- Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals in Healthcare, 2007/2008, 2008/2009
- Who's Who in America (Marquis Who's Who), 2007, 2008, 2009
- America's Top Surgeons (Consumer Research Council of America, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd.), 2006, 2008, 2009
- First David G. Murray Endowed Professorship in Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University, November 2003
- SUNY Upstate Medical University President's Award for Outstanding Clinical Research by a Young Investigator, 2003
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Schumacher KM, Damron TA. Evaluation of triage tool for low-grade cartilage tumors: Four-quadrant approach. J Surg Oncol. 2022 Feb;125(2):273-281.
- Damron TA. CORR Insights®: Does Local Zoledronate Applied to Pasteurized Bone Autografts Improve the Likelihood of Union of Graft-Host Junctions after Limb-sparing Surgery? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2022 Jan 1;480(1):121-123.
- Lal DN, Roza G, Damron TA. Total Femoral Replacement for Complicated Echinococcus Infection: Sixteen-Year Follow-up. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Nov 11;11(4).
- Mann KA, Miller MA, Rossow JK, Tatusko ME, Horton JA, Damron TA, Oest ME. Progressive loss of implant fixation in a preclinical rat model of cemented knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Res. 2021 Nov;39(11):2353-2362.
- Kaupp SM, Mann KA, Miller MA, Damron TA. Predicting Fracture Risk in Patients with Metastatic Bone Disease of the Femur: A Pictorial Review Using Three Different Techniques. Adv Orthop. 2021 Jun 16;2021:5591715.
- Lin MY, Damron TA, Oest ME, Horton JA. Mithramycin A Radiosensitizes EWS:Fli1+ Ewing Sarcoma Cells by Inhibiting Double Strand Break Repair. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021 Apr 1;109(5):1454-1471.
- Bartlow CM, Mann KA, Damron TA, Oest ME. Altered mechanical behavior of demineralized bone following therapeutic radiation. J Orthop Res. 2021 Apr;39(4):750-760.
- Damron TA. CORR Insights®: Can a Novel Scoring System Improve on the Mirels Score in Predicting the Fracture Risk in Patients with Multiple Myeloma? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2021 Mar 1;479(3):531-533.
- Damron TA. CORR Insights®: Radiation Disrupts Protective Function of the Spinal Meninges in a Mouse Model of Tumor-induced Spinal Cord Compression. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2021 Jan 1;479(1):177-179.
- Bedard T, Mohammed M, Serinelli S, Damron TA. Atypical Enostoses-Series of Ten Cases and Literature Review. Medicina (Kaunas). 2020 Oct 13;56(10):534.
- Mandair GS, Oest ME, Mann KA, Morris MD, Damron TA, Kohn DH. Radiation-induced changes to bone composition extend beyond periosteal bone. Bone Rep. 2020 Mar 28;12:100262.
- Damron TA, Mann KA. Fracture risk assessment and clinical decision making for patients with metastatic bone disease. J Orthop Res. 2020 Jun;38(6):1175-1190.
- For a full list of Dr. Damron's publications, click HERE
- Damron, T.A., Nazarian, A., Entezari, V., Brown, C., Grant, W., Hipp, J.A., Calderon, N., Zurakowski, D., Terek, R.M., Anderson, M.E., Cheng, E.Y., Cheung, F., Aboulafia, A.J., Turcotte, R., Lin, P.P., Gebhardt, M.C., Snyder, B.D., “CT-based structural rigidity analysis is more accurate than Mirels scoring system for fracture prediction in metastatic femoral lesions,” Abstract program at the Annual Meeting of Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Houston, Oct 2014.
- Oest, M.E., Mann, K.A., Zimmerman, N., Allen, N., Damron, T.A., “Parathyroid hormone transiently protects bone from radiotherapy induced damage,” Abstract program at the Annual Meeting of Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Houston, Oct 2014.
- Behrouzi, S., Entezari, V., Zurakowski, D., Damron, T.A., Yaszemski, M., Nazarian, A., Snyder, B., “Fracture prediction and treatment planning in patients with skeletal metastasis: A multicenter survey study to evaluate consensus among physicians,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Margulies, B.S., Deboyace, S.D., Parsons, A.M., Policastro, C.G., Ee, J., Damron, T.A. ,“Mechanical disruption of the MSc niche during total joint surgery leads to diminished osteogenesis,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Oest, M.E., Kuchera, T., Damron, T.A., “Focal bone irradiation induces transient increases in mineral apposition rate,” Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, Mar 2014.
- Damron, T.A., Syed, A., “Does prophylactic stabilization in the setting of irradiated soft tissue tumors prevent fracture?” Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Oct 2013.
- Auston, D., Damron, T.A., “Radiographic failure of a calcium sulfate/calcium phosphate bone filler,” Proceedings of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Oct 2013.