Dr. Stephen Albanese
Area of Expertise
MEET DR. ALBANESE
Dr. Albanese joined the Department of Orthopedic Surgery faculty in 1986 and has served as Department Chair since 2000. He was the orthopedic surgery residency program director from 2000 until 2021.
Dr. Albanese has served as a member at large on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Board of Directors. He has chaired the AAOS Committee on Evaluation, been a mentor in the AAOS leadership fellows program, and served as a member of the AAOS Council on Education.
He is a past president of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and served on its Board of Directors for 10 years. He has chaired the Scoliosis Research Society Morbidity and Mortality Committee. He has served as a member of the American Orthopaedic Association Academic Leadership Committee.
Dr. Albanese served seven years as a member of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Review Committee (RRC). The final three years were as the RRC Chair. He completed a 6-year term on the ACMGE Board of Directors and Chaired the Program Requirements Committee.
He is a past president of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) and has served as a member at large on the POSNA Board of Directors and chaired the Education and Health Care Delivery Councils.
Dr. Albanese’s clinical interests include general pediatric orthopedics, pediatric spine deformities, scoliosis, pediatric fractures, club feet, developmental hip dislocation, spina bifida, slipped capital femoral epiphysis, lower extremity malalignment, cerebral palsy, leg length inequality, and Legg Perthes disease.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: Bucknell University, BS Electrical Engineering, 1976
- Medical School: MD, SUNY at Buffalo, 1980
- Residency: Buffalo General Hospital, 1981
- Residency: University Hospital, SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse, 1985
- Fellowship: Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 1986
CERTIFICATIONS, APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Dr. Albanese is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Chair, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Elected President of the Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America
Telemedicine Portal Via upstate.doxy.me
- Click here to connect to your scheduled Telemedicine appointment.