Dr. Scott VanValkenburg
Areas of Expertise
Foot & Ankle Surgery
MEET DR. VANVALKENBURG
Dr. VanValkenburg is a fellowship-trained Orthopedic Foot and Ankle specialist surgeon, born and raised in the Syracuse area. He has clinical interests and research interests in ankle replacements, foot and ankle reconstruction and deformity correction, lower extremity traumatic injuries, sports-related ankle, and foot injuries, ankle arthroscopy, and managing ankle and foot arthritis.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: University of Rochester
- Medical School: MD, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Residency: SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Fellowship: Combined Foot and Ankle Fellowship at Rhode Island Hospital, The Warren Alpert
- Medical School of Brown University, and Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard Medical School)
CERTIFICATIONS, APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Dr. VanValkenburg is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Department Chief, Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Excellence in Professionalism Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 2012
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Hsu, R., VanValkenburg, S., Tanriovier, A., DiGiovanni, C., “Surgical techniques of gastrocnemius lengthening,” Foot and Ankle Clinics, In press, Epub Sep 2014.
- Iannolo, M., Werner, F., Sutton, L., Serell, S., VanValkenburg, S., “Forces across the middle of the intact clavicle during shoulder motion,” J Shoulder Elbow Surg., Oct 2010; 19(7): 1013-7. Epub Jul 16 2010.
- ValValkenburg, S., Barrick, B., Bhimji, S., Werner, F., “Tibial tray migration of two uncemented knee designs,” World Congress of Biomechanics, Boston, MA, Jul 2014.
- VanValkenburg, S., Bhimji, S., Werner, F., “Assessment aggressive physiologic load testing of total knee implants,” ORS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, Jan 2013.
- VanValkenburg, S., Simpson, R.B., “Tension band plating technique for management of complex patellar nonunions,” AO Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, Oct 2010.