Matthew P. Sullivan, MD
Area of Expertise
MEET DR. SULLIVAN
Dr. Sullivan is an orthopedic trauma surgeon who specializes in fixing broken bones. Dr. Sullivan's approach to orthopaedic surgery is that of excellence in clinical medicine, education, and research.
He is particularly interested in the team approach to caring for severely injured trauma patients and understands the life-altering impact that orthopedic trauma has on his patients. His practice ranges from treating broken ankles, legs, arms, shoulders, hips, etc. In addition to acute trauma, his practice includes treating infected fractures and problematic fractures which have healed incorrectly or not at all. Furthermore, he has extensive experience fixing pelvis and acetabular fractures as well as the treatment of childhood fractures surgically and non-surgically.
Dr. Sullivan is the SUNY Upstate Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program Director. As Program Director he is responsible for the academic mission of the department of orthopaedic surgery, overseeing the orthopaedic education of our 25 residents. Dr. Sullivan is also the Chief of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery at SUNY Upstate University Hospital, our region's level one trauma center and tertiary referral center.
Dr. Sullivan's research is focused on understanding which fractures we fix well and which fractures we can fix better. He has a particular interest in understanding how implant (plates and screw and rods) selection influences patient outcomes and novel techniques for treating complex lower extremity injuries.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: Tufts University - Bachelor of Science – 2005
- Medical School: Boston University School of Medicine - Medical Degree – 2010
- Intern: University of Pennsylvania, Departments of Orthopedic and General Surgery – 2011
- Residencies: University of Pennsylvania, Departments of Orthopedic Surgery – 2015
- Fellowship: Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington - Orthopedic Trauma Surgery - 2016
CERTIFICATIONS & APPOINTMENTS
- Dr. Sullivan is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Program Director - SUNY Upstate Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery
- Chief - Orthopedic Trauma Service
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Telgheder ZL, Mookerjee G, Aglio J, Sullivan MP. Suture Augmentation of Internal Fixation for Highly Comminuted Patella Fractures. Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. In-Press.
- Flood MG, Wie BJ, Sullivan MP. Perforation of the Knee Joint Following Antegrade Intramedullary Nailing of a Comminuted Femoral Diaphyseal Fracture: A Case Report. Cureus. 2022 May 5. PMID 35677006
- Flood MG, Bauer MR, Sullivan MP. Radiographic Considerations for Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics – B. 2022 March 31. PMID 35357346
- Sullivan MP, Bonilla K, Donegan D. Malrotation of long bone. Orthop Clin North Am. 2021 May 7. PMID 34053567
- Sullivan MP, Telgheder ZL, Kleweno CP. Three Dimensional Computed Tomography Posterior Iliac Oblique Images Enhance Preoperative Planning for Acetabular Fracture Surgery - Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. Spring 2021;30(1):50-54. PMID 33861195
- Shahien A, Sullivan MP, et al. Combined Orthopaedic and Vascular Injuries with Ischemia: A Multicenter Analysis. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Published ahead of print. January 21 2021.
- Bauer M, Reiser J, Sullivan MP. Complex Elbow Injuries. Annals of Joint. Volume 5. 2020 October.
- Telgheder ZL, Sullivan MP. Anatomic considerations for retrograde fibular medullary screw insertion: a cadaveric study. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology. 2020 Sept 10. PMID 32910265
- Telgheder ZL, Albanese MA, Bloom DS, Kurra S, Sullivan MP. A Comparison of Complications and Union Rates in Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Shaft Fractures Treated with Open Versus Closed Reduction. Orthopedics. 2019 Dec 27:1-5. PMID: 31881084
- Telgheder ZL, Sullivan MP. Utilizing 2.0 mm Plates as a Supplemental Fixation Aid. Techniques in Orthopaedics. Published ahead of print. December 16, 2019.
- Sullivan MP, et al. Radial neck dilatory remodeling following radial head arthroplasty with an uncemented, press fit, fully chemically etched stem design. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Published ahead of print. April 27, 2017. PMID 28471917
- Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R. Current treatment for talar fractures. Instr Course Lect 2017;66:39–49. PMID 28594487
- Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R: Current treatment for talar fractures. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2016;14(4):2. http://dx.doi.org/10.5435/OKOJ-14-4-2
- Sullivan MP, Scolaro JA, Milby A, Mehta S. Isolated pelvic ring injuries: functional outcomes following percutaneous, posterior fixation. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology. 2015. PMID 25869107.
- Sullivan MP, Schenker ML, Mehta S. Pertrochanteric hip fracture: a “routine” fracture with a potentially devastating vascular complication. Orthopedics. 2015 Jan 1;38(1):e75–9. PMID 25611426
- Sullivan MP, McHale KJ, Parvizi J, Mehta S. Nanotechnology: current concepts in orthopaedic surgery and future directions. The Bone & Joint Journal, May 2014. 96-B(5), 569–573. PMID 24788488
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin KD, Donegan DJ, et al. Geriatric fractures about the hip: divergent patterns in the proximal femur, acetabulum, and pelvis. Orthopedics. 2014 Mar;37(3):151–7. PMID 24762143
- Sullivan MP, Smith HE, Schuster JM, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Spondylopelvic Dissociation. Orthop Clin North Am. 2014 Jan;45(1):65-75. PMID 24267208
- Sullivan MP, McCormick, J. D., & Arlet, V. (2013). Vertebral artery injury and severely displaced odontoid fracture: the case for early reduction. European Spine Journal. 22(10), 2149–53. PMID: 23989680
- Sullivan MP, Torres, S. J., Mehta, S., & Ahn, J. (2013). Heterotopic ossification after central nervous system trauma: A current review. Bone & Joint Research, 2(3), 51–7. PMID 23610702
- Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Mehta S. Acute compartment syndrome: obtaining diagnosis, providing treatment, and minimizing medicolegal risk. Curr Rev Musculoskeletal Med. 2012 Sep;5(3):206-13. PMID 22644598
- Gray MR, Malmquist JA, Sullivan MP, Blea M, Castellot JJ. CCN5 Expression in mammals. II. Adult rodent tissues. Journal of Cell Communication and Signaling. 2007 Sep; 1(2): 145-158. PMID 18481204
- Blea M, Sullivan MP, Jones J, Oleson L, Gray M, Castellot J. Localization of CCN5 Protein in Adult Murine Tissues. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2005 May; 58(5): 466-478. PMCID: PMC1770648
- Jones J, Blea M, Sullivan MP, Castellot J, Gray M. Temporal and Spatial localization of CCN5 Protein in Murine Embryos. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2005 May; 58(5): 466-478. PMCID: PMC1770648
- Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Donegan DJ, Mehta S, Ahn J. Length, Alignment, and Rotation: Operative Techniques for Intramedullary Nailing of the comminuted, diaphyseal femur fracture. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal, volume 24. P 31-35. June 2014.
- Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Donegan DJ, Ahn J, Mehta S. Strategies and Application of Ankle-Spanning Multiplanar External Fixators. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal, volume 24. P 26-30. June 2014.
- McHale KJ, Sullivan MP, Mehta S. Nanotechnology: Current Concepts in Orthopaedic Surgery. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. Volume 23, 2012.
- Sullivan MP. The Annual John L. Esterhai, Jr Lecture. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. Vol 21, P. 133, May 2010.
- Wishnia S, Sullivan MP, Servais E, Lightner A, Lim R, Prushik S, Stucchi A, Becker J. Outcomes following completion mucosectomy for retained rectal mucosa (RRM) following restorative proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis. Journal of Surgical Research. 2010 February; Volume 158, Issue 2, Page 176.
- Sullivan MP, Ahn J. Demographics and Epidemiology. (2017). Fragility Fractures of the Pelvis, 1st Ed. Rommens PM, Hofmann A (Eds.).
- Githens M, Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R. (2016). Intramedullary Nailing of Tibia Fractures: Techniques. In Let’s Discuss: Common Orthopaedic Emergencies--Surviving the Night. P 143-162. Rosemont, Il. AAOS.
- Sullivan MP, Mehta S. (2017). Tibial Shaft Fractures: Intramedullary Nailing. In Case Competencies in Orthopaedic Surgery. 1st Edition. P 160-171. Philadelphia, PA. Elsevier.
- Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Mehta S. (2016). Orthopaedic Surgery. In The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide, 4th Edition. P 486-498. Philadelphia, PA. Lippencott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin K, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Geriatric Fractures About the Hip: Divergent Patterns in the Proximal Femur, Acetabulum, and Pelvis. OTA Annual meeting 2013, Phoenix, AZ. Poster Number 23.
- Sullivan MP, Nestorovski D, Horan AM, Donegan DJ, Ahn J, Mehta S. Appropriate Use of the 22-Modifier Does Not Improve Payment in Orthopaedic Trauma & Fracture Care. OTA Annual meeting 2014. Tampa, FL. Poster Number 142.
- Tornetta P, Shahien A, Sullivan MP, Firoozabadi R, Lu K, Cannada L, Timmel M, Ali A, Bramlett K, Marcantonio A, Flynn M, Vallier H, Nicolay R, Mullis B, Goodwin A, Miller A, Krause P, Mir H. Combined Orthopaedic and Vascular Injuries: A Multicenter Analysis. Podium Presentation #123. 2016 OTA Annual Meeting, Gaylord Harbor, MD.
- Sullivan MP, Baldwin K, Donegan D, Mehta S, Ahn J. Geriatric Fractures About the Hip: Divergent Patterns in the Proximal Femur, Pelvis and Acetabulum. 2013 AAOS Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Sullivan MP, Scolaro JA, Mehta A. Functional outcomes of isolated, partially unstable pelvic injuries fixed with percutaneous posterior-only fixation. 2014 AAOS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.