Dr. Emil Azer
Areas of Expertise
Orthopedic Trauma and Joint Replacement Surgery
MEET DR. AZER
Dr. Emil Azer specializes in orthopedic trauma and joint replacement surgery. He is extremely adept in the vast medical world of trauma and reconstructive surgery within orthopedics. His clinical interests include orthopedic trauma, pelvic, and acetabular fractures, complex peri-articular fractures, sacroiliac joint (SI joint) pain, adult reconstruction, hip and knee arthroplasty, revision surgery, and post-traumatic reconstruction.
Dr. Azer is trained in the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques, including use of the iFuse Implant System® from SI-BONE for SI joint pain. Click here for more information.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Undergraduate: Pre-Medical, New York University, 1996-2000
- Medical School: MD, New York Medical College, 2000-2004
- Residency: Orthopedic Surgery at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 2004-2009
- Fellowship: Orthopedic Trauma at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2009-2010
CERTIFICATIONS & AWARDS
- Dr. Azer is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Dr. Azer was awarded The Brooklyn Orthopedic Surgery Society Resident Research Award in 2007.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Mathur, S., Perri, B., Dissique, K., Shanti, N., Azer, E., “Acute Odontoid Fractures,” Cervical Spine Surgery Challenges: Diagnosis and Management, 2008.
- Barrick, B., Auston, D., Azer, E., Simpson, R.B., “Preliminary Results of a Modified AO/OTA 41 Type C to B Protocol for Management of Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures,” Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 2015.
- Barrick, B., Auston, D., Azer, E., Simpson, R.B., “Radiographic Factors Distinguishing Moore Type Knee Fracture Dislocations from Schatzker 4 Plateau Fractures,” Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 2015.
- Azer, E., Sands, S., Siska, P.A., Gruen, G.S., Pape, H.C., Tarkin, I.S., “The ‘Wedge Effect’ after Intramedullary Hip Screw (IMHS) Fixation for Osteoporotic Intertrochanteric (IT) Fractures,” Poster Presentation, Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, Baltimore, October 2010
- Shanti, N., Azer, E., Carrer, A., Gerling, M., “Cervical Disk Herniation: The Quality of Information on the Internet,” Manuscript submitted to Spine, 2007; Poster Presentation, Cervical Spine Research Society Annual Meeting-European Section, Uppsala, Sweden, 10-13 June, 2009.
- Shanti, N., Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., Azer, E., Merola, A., “The Osteogenic Potential of a Collagen Hydroxyapatite Matrix Combine with rhBMP-2 in a Rat Spinal Fusion Model,” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007, and North American Spine Society 22nd Annual Meeting, 2007.
- “Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., Shanti, N., Azer, E., Merola, A., The Relationship of Convex Thoracic Pedicle Screw Construct Type with Respect to Preoperative Scoliometer Readings: How Many Screws are Enough?” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007.
- Shanti, N., Burgoes, F.J., Hevia, E., Azer, E., Rodriguez, O., Carlos, J., “The Use of Bilateral TLIFs with Various Size Cages for the Correctional of Sagittal Imbalance Syndrome,” Poster Presentation, 14th Annual International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, 2007, and North American Spine Society 22nd Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Russinoff, S., Azer, E., Zelicof, S.B., “A New Reference Point for the Tibial Bone Cut in Total Knee Arthroplasty: Tibial Sulcus,” Submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty; Poster Presentation, AAOS Annual Meeting, 2005.