‘Tis the season to deck the halls! As you are preparing to decorate the inside and outside of your home to ring in the holidays, be sure you are taking precautions against unnecessary risks. Here are Upstate Orthopedics’ SIX Tips when trimming your walls.
1. Do not Drink and Decorate. Don’t take unnecessary risks that impair your balance and save your cocktail for when the decorating is done.
2. Use Ladders Properly. Select the right ladder, including step stools or utility ladders for low to medium heights, extension ladders for outdoors/rooftops, and do not exceed maximum load capacity (weight). You should also inspect ladders for loose screws, rusted hinges, or broken rungs, and set up ladders on firm, level surfaces. For extension ladders, follow the 4:1 rule: for every 4 feet of rise, move bottom of ladder 1 foot from wall.
3. Exercise Caution. When off the ground, move cautiously to maintain balance, keep ladders close to work area, wear proper footwear and ensure laces are tied, and keep materials nearby to minimize reaching.
4. Use a Step Stool Indoors. Use a step stool rather than standing on furniture when reaching for additional heights!
5. Be Aware of Space. The addition of decorations may change up the flow of your home. Minimize clutter, keep pathways clear, and be mindful of rearranged furniture.
6. Ask for help. Ask for help when carrying heavy or awkward items, ask for someone to hand you materials rather than reaching for them, and ask for a spotter when climbing a ladder.
We wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. May you enjoy time with loved ones and celebrate safely, but if injuries occur, the orthopedic specialists at Upstate Orthopedics will be here to help. For acute (sudden) injuries after hours, you can go to our OrthoNOW! of Syracuse Urgent Care Clinic, or you can visit www.upstateorthopedics.com/request-an-appointment to request an appointment.