William Lavelle, MD
Adult & Pediatric Spine Surgery / Scoliosis Surgery
Dr. William Lavelle is an avid researcher in adult and pediatric spine surgery, including growing spine techniques such as the VEPTR (titanium rib) for early onset scoliosis. His interests also include adult and pediatric spinal cord injury, cervical kyphosis, adult and pediatric scoliosis, spinal osteotomy, and spinal outcomes research.
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Pre-Medical, Wilkes University, 1998
Medical School: MD, MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine, 2002
Residency: Albany Medical Center, 2002-2007
Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic, 2007-2008
American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Upstate University Hospital
- Crouse Hospital
- Upstate Orthopedics Ambulatory Surgery Center
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Scoliosis Research Society
- North American Spine Society
- Chest Wall and Spinal Deformity Study Group
- Orthopedic Research and Education
- New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association, Emerging Leaders Program
Honors and Awards
- Albany Medical College Resident Research Award (Paul Clark Award), 2007
- American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leader, 2006
- Horvatt Scholarship to College and Medical School, 1994-2002
- Guthrie Premedical Scholar, 1994-1998
- Wilkes Presidential Scholarship, 1994-1998
- Catherine H. Bone Award for Chemistry, 1998
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society, 1995-1998
- Schubb Scholarship, 1994-1998
- Freshman Chemistry Award, 1995
- Capone Scholarship, 1994
- Elks Club Scholarship, 1994
- Chemical Rubber Company Award for Outstanding Contribution, 1994
- Adult and pediatric spinal deformity, scoliosis, kyphosis, adult and pediatric spinal trauma, degenerative spine surgery, growing spine technology, kyphoplasty
TELEMEDICINE PORTAL VIA UPSTATE.DOXY.ME
- Click here to connect to your scheduled Telemedicine appointment.
- Carl, A., Sharan, A.D., Lavelle, W., “Trends in spine surgery-the perfect storm,” European Musculoskeletal Review, 2012; 7(2): 91-3.
- Metkar, U., Wardak, Z., Katz, D., Lavelle,W.F., “Giant cell tumor of a lumbar vertebra in a 7 year old child: A case report,” J Pediatr Orthop., 2012 Dec; 32(8): e76-80.
- Lavelle, W., Lavelle, E.D., Lavelle, L., “Intra-articular injections,” Med Clin North Am., 2007 Mar; 91 (2): 241-50. (Invited Reprint in Anesthesiol Clin. Dec; 25 (4): 853-862.)
- Lavelle, W., Carl, A., Lavelle, E.D., “Invasive and minimally invasive surgical techniques for back pain conditions,” Med Clin North Am., 2007 Mar; 91 (2): 287-298. (Invited Reprint in Anesthesiol Clin. 2007 Dec; 25 (4): 899-911.)
- Karam, M., Lavelle, W.F., Cheney, R., “The role of bone scintigraphy in treatment planning, and predicting pain relief after kyphoplasty,” Nucl Med Commun., 2008 Mar; 29 (3): 247-253.
- Kitab, S.A., Miele, V.J., Lavelle, W.F., “Benzel EC. Pathoanatomic basis for stretch-induced lumbar nerve root injury with a review of the literature,” Neurosurgery, 2009 Jul; 65 (1): 161-8.
- Betz, R.R., Lavelle, W.F., Samdani, A.F., “Bone grafting options in children,” Spine, 2010 Aug 1; 35 (17): 1648-1654.
- Riesenburger, R.I., Potluri, T., Kulkarni, N., Lavelle, W.F., Roguski, M., Goel, V.K., Benzel, E.C., “Unilateral cervical facet dislocation: A biomechanical study of several constructs including unilateral lateral mas fixation supplemented by an interspinous cable,” J Neurosurg Spine, 2012 Mar; 16(3): 251-256.
- Ordway, N.R., Lavelle, W.F., Brown, T., “Bao Q-B. Biomechanical assessment and fatigue characteristics of an articulating nucleus implant,” International J Spine Surgery, 2013 Dec; (7) e109-e117.
- Lavelle, W., Lieberman, I., Mroz, T., “Discetomy after selective nerve root blocks for patients with a lumbar disc herniation,” Presentation, North American Spine Society 23rd Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Oct 14-18, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., Karam, M., Cheney, R., Uhl, R., “Importance of skeletal scintigraphy in preoperative patient evaluation for kyphoplasty,” Podium Presentation, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in San Francisco, CA, Mar 7, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., “Short segment fusion for degenerative ,” Young spine surgeons forum- North American Spine Society 23rd Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Oct 13, 2008.
- Lavelle, W., Evanchick, K., Orr, R.D., “The effect of smoking on the improvement in pain scores for patients undergoing limited transforaminal lumbar fusion,” Paper, Lumbar Spine Research Society Chicago, Apr 2-3, 2009.
- Demers, E., Lavelle, W., Youssef, G., Monir-Soliman, L., Goodwin, R., “The side effects and safety of epidural analgesia following pedatric scoliosi surgery,” Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, Jacksonville, FL, Mar 19-22, 2009.
- Lavelle W., Mroz, T., Steinmetz, M.D., “Lumbar discectomy after epidural injection or selective nerve root blocks,” Presentation, North American Spine Society Spine Across The Seas Meeting in Hawaii, Jul 26-30, 2009.